Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Tree of Life Review



Just got back from watching the mesmerizing and transcendental Tree of Life. The film is so extraordinary and rich that I cannot write enough to describe how taken back I was from it. I have always had an affinity for Malick's oeuvre. My admiration for his work stems from his ability to push his narrative ability further and further from film to film. "The New World" was a misstep in my opinion and Malick going overboard with the narrative structure. However, I found the performances and visuals so beautiful that I was able to overlook its often plodding nature. Now Malick has not only returned to form in "The Tree of Life" but has placed his stamp on filmmaking. Many have criticized the "lack of narrative direction" of the film, but my experience is that the freedom of the narrative structure only serves to express Malick's ongoing search for cosmic unity within the chaos. The film ranges from moments of great tragedy, comedy, subtle terror, tenderness. It is an all encompassing journey that reaches out and touches every possible human experience. It knows no emotional bounds.I would also emphasize that the structure is in the vein of James Joyce's stream of consciousness in that Malick holds nothing back in the editing. Contrasting juxtapositions run rampant throughout and the film is abundant in references and hommages to cinema greats such Tarkovsky, Fellini, and Kubrick amongst others. The use of music takes the film to another level. I'd even argue that the music is just as essential to the storytelling as the visuals. Not to mention the tremendous creation of life sequence that initiates the film
s second act. That is a true virtuoso performance at its best. References and comparisons to 2001 are not out of place here. I could go on and on, but I will be posting a published review in the coming days that will elaborate on my opinions of this tremendous masterwork.

I'd love to hear any contrasting thoughts or opinions on the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment